STAND UP FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS VIRTUAL RALLY – WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 24
Are you ready to RALLY – virtually? Tomorrow, January 24, is the day! How many people have you asked to join us?
Make your voice heard without ever leaving home or work, missing carpool or appointments!
Tomorrow, use your smart phone, computer, or other device to “message” your legislators in every way possible. Our rally message is STAND UP FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS! #No2VouchersMS #ProtectSchoolFunding
What we need for you to do:
• Write your emails, tweets, text messages, Facebook posts, etc., now and have them ready to go for tomorrow. Find contact information for legislators and the leadership here – including email, phone, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• On social media, use the hashtags #No2VouchersMS and #ProtectSchoolFunding and the rally graphic linked here. Post the graphic and your message on legislators’ own social media pages and tag legislators in all of your posts on your own pages.
• Invite legislators to rally with us in support of public schools.
• Set up Twitter and Instagram accounts if you don’t have them already. Easy instructions are here and here.
• Spread the word! Help ensure an overwhelming response by recruiting friends, family, and coworkers to join us. They can sign up for our emails here.
• Teachers, remember to use your personal phones, computers, email addresses, and time to send your messages. You can prepare your messages ahead of time and just hit “send” in the morning.
• Beginning tomorrow morning, contact your legislators and the leadership with our rally message: STAND UP FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS #No2VouchersMS #ProtectSchoolFunding. Don’t pick just one method of communicating, use them all: call, text, email, tweet, and post on Facebook and Instagram!
• Unavailable all day tomorrow? Go ahead and post on social media and send those messages this afternoon or tonight!
The privatizers were at the Capitol today pushing their voucher bills, so we need to make sure that our voices are heard tomorrow! The voucher bills introduced this year are among the worst we have seen. They invite fraud and abuse, allowing parents to use a mobile app to send state tax dollars to any fly-by-night “school” that buys an accreditation online. The bills appear to open vouchers to home schoolers by exempting voucher students from compulsory school attendance laws, and they change dramatically how average daily attendance is counted for funding purposes by deleting the law allowing excused absences for academic field trips or school-related events off campus, etc. Read more.
Please ask your legislators to STAND UP FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS by:
Voting NO on any voucher bill!
Voting NO on any MAEP rewrite that slashes the state’s obligation to our children!
Find complete contact information for legislators. Capitol Switchboard: 601.359.3770
Share the same message with:
Lt. Governor Reeves Capitol: 601.359.3200
Speaker Gunn Capitol: 601.359.3300
Voucher and funding bills could come up any time, so make those calls today and get ready to RALLY (virtually) tomorrow.
Please ask your friends and family to join us in standing up for Mississippi children and their public schools. Our kids are counting on us, and together, we’ve got this!