This afternoon, Lt. Gov. Reeves and Speaker Gunn announced that a public hearing on the MAEP revamp will be held this Thursday, November 17, at 4 p.m. in Room 113 of the State Capitol in Jackson.
An EdBuild representative will be on hand to hear your ideas and concerns. Please attend and make your voice heard. To speak at the meeting, you will need to sign up ahead of time by emailing email@example.com with Public Hearing in the subject line. Be sure to bring to the hearing a written copy of your comments to submit for the record.
Key Points to Remember
Funding for our public schools should be sufficient to allow Mississippi students to compete well with the children of every other state and country.
These components are absolutely necessary to include in Mississippi’s school funding law:
1. An objective, formula-driven base student cost that:
• keeps pace with inflation and considers increasing demands on districts
• ensures that school funding is based on what schools need
• avoids subjecting school funding to political whims
2. A means for providing equitable resources for all children that:
• ensures that children in low wealth communities have funding that is on par with the funding in higher wealth communities
• avoids shifting more of the school funding burden to the local level in high wealth communities
Few things are more important than the way our children’s schools are funded. You can find vital information about this issue here.
Because of the terribly short notice about the hearing, we expect that many concerned parents will be excluded from this process. If you are unable to attend the hearing, take a minute this week to email your thoughts and concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please help us spread the word on social media and otherwise. Our children are counting on us!